Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Alice Christie: Online Researching Resources

I think that students should begin using the internet at an early age. I started playing on computers in fiver-year-old kindergarten. We only played simple games, and for the next few years became used to turning them on, finding the game we wanted, opening it, and then shutting down the computer. As we progressed in age, we began to learn typing, spreadsheets, and eventually web surfing. We were given topics to look for and were instructed to gather as much information as we could. By the time I reached college, I was fluent in research.
Because I will be teaching high school, hopefully I will not have to teach the students how to use search engines, but can simply give them a literature topic or a project and they will be able to find multiple credible sources online. This way, they can e-mail the links to themselves instead of going to the library and making endless copies. Because with a book, the smallest part you can print is a page, but with the Print>Selection command, students can only print the parts that they need to turn in for sources.

No comments: