Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Did You Know?

No, I did not! Those facts and figures are very nearly mind boggling. It is astounding to think that 100% of college graduates in a country halfway around the world, whose national language is not English all speak fluent English by the time they graduate. I took French in high school, but if I was to go to France, I would be competely lost because the only thing I can say in French is "Hello, my name is Scarlett, I am from Mobile, Alabama. What time is it?" And when it gave the facts about the "richest in the world, largest military, center of world business and finance, strongest education system, currnecy the world standard of value, and highest standard of living," I thought it was the United States. I was shocked to find out that is is Great Britain.
We grow up thinking that America is the most powerful and opportunistic country in the world, only to get to college and find out how far behind we really are compared to the rest of the world. When I think about how easy it was for me to get an education, with at least one school in every city, I had the option of attending four different high schools, four middle schools and four elementary schools, I realize how truly blessed I am. There are children in other countries that never went farther that the fifth grade, and some children who never go to school at all because they have to get jobs to earn a living. When I was complaining that my folders were "so last week," and my hair scrunchie was "unacceptable by my grades social standards and totally un-cool," there were children my age around the world with fulltime jobs and families to support. This video was a real eye opener that I think more people need to see. For anyone who is interested the website is http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/06/did-you-know-20.html.

No comments: