Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Podcasts

I have had an iPod for a few years now, but the only thing I ever put on it was music and somtimes a research paper. I had never paid much attention to the podcasts on the Apple website. But upon entering Dr. Strange's class last fall I was informed that I would be doing a podcast. I was absolutely terrified. Then, just my luck, on my day to record, I had bronchitis and was practically holding my breath to keep from coughing into the microphone.
I listened to the smart board podcast and was interested to learn that the speakers were from the smartboard lesson is to inform the students, teachers, and parents of the events and expectations for the upcoming academic year.
Next, I listened to a podcast called a Kidcast. This is an educational website for children to learn how to do their own podcasts. It gives easy instructions and allows children to share their thoughts and ideas with people around the world. The kids are not limited to what they can talk about. They can speak on anything from academic subjects to hobbies and health.
The EdTech Talk was interesting as well. It featured four speakers each from a different location (Ohio, Prince Edward Island, New Jersey and New Hampshire). They spoke of tools and hints available on their websites which will be useful fo rany future educator. They spoke as though they were sitting around in a livingroom, having a cup of coffee and just talking casually. I'm glad they did not present it as four people making planned speeches one after the other. I do not like listening to lectures, so this was easy for me to listen to.
I was not fond of MacBreak Weekly or This Week In Photography because I felt like I was watching television. I do not think it is necessary or pleasant to have commercials in a podcast. I hate commercials on television because they interupt what I am watching and I would not be watching television if it was not something i was interested in seeing.

No comments: